Admission to Our Residence
Columbus Residence is licensed through Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) to provide a home and long-term care services to individuals who can no longer live independently and who require 24 hour professionally supported long-term care living.
Residents admitted to Columbus Residence must meet the B.C. Ministry of Health’s Care Division’s criteria for long-term care. Admission to Columbus Residence is through Priority Access. The community case manager is the person who assesses potential residents and determines their eligiblity for Priority Access. Priority Access determines when a client is ready to move into a facility.
Basic Criteria for Residence
A person interested in applying to Long-Term Care may be eligible if they meet the following criteria:
- Have complex medical care needs that require professional intervention
- Have looked into all the community resources that would provide safe care at home or in a supportive environment like assisted living
- Need long-term care immediately
- Are a B.C. resident 19 years-of-age or older
Applying for Residential Care
- Call the Community Care Access Line nearest you and ask to speak with a case manager
- The case manager will assess you (or your family member) for eligiblity into long-term care
- Once it has been determined that you are eligible, you will be offered the first available and appropriate bed in a long-term care home in your area. You may however, be eligible to apply for a transfer to another long-term care home of your choice after admission
For more information, visit the Vancouver Coastal Health website.
To learn more about residential care click on the link below to VCH’s Residential Care Information Guide.
The waitlist for long-term care homes is maintained by VCH. Columbus Residence is not able to advise you if you will be given a bed at our care home or where your place is on the general waitlist. Please contact your case manager at Vancouver Coastal Health for more information.
Columbus Residence offers regularly scheduled tours for those individuals interested in seeing our home and finding out more about what life is like in our community. Tours are by appointment only. If you would like to join one of our scheduled tours, please call during regular office hours Tel: 604.321.4405. Note: We are unable to accommodate personal tours in the evening or on weekends.
Take a virtual tour of Columbus Residence
Each resident living at Columbus Residence pays a monthly rate set by the B.C. Ministry of Health. This fee is based on the resident’s after tax income and is subject to minimum and maximum rates. Your case manager will be able to provide you with more information about your individual rate.